Monday, August 4, 2008

Emma's Story

One minute we were discussing John’s job prospects in China, the next it seemed I was packing my text books into storage boxes ready for the move East. Looking back it wasn’t a conversation at all, but rather a declaration of his plans abroad which I had no say in. I realise that for a relationship to survive we both have to be willing to make compromises for one another, but when did I become so submissive? I wanted to be a supportive wife but in doing so I gave up almost everything important to me. I don’t feel comfortable here. Everything is so different, so hectic and noisy. I just want to cut myself off and hide away from it all. I often do.

John keeps complaining that I should have found another job by now, but it's not the same here. At home I had established a set system in the classroom, the students obeyed my rules, and I was in control. Here I'm forced to abide to their regimented lesson plans; why bother paying a English-speaking teacher to merely recite a Chinese-written cirriculum...?! I want to teach, but not like this...


No comments: